Randolph County is located in the southwestern portion of the state. Randolph County is named after Virginian John Randolph. Another Georgia county, Jasper County, was the original Randolph County; however, because of John Randolph's opposition to U.S. entry into the War of 1812, the Georgia General Assembly changed the name of Randolph County to Jasper County in an act of December 10th, 1812. Eventually, Randolph's reputation was restored, and in 1828, the General Assembly created the current Randolph County.
Frances T. Ingmire
paper, 36 pp.