Gasconade County, Missouri Records
Gasconade County located on the south side of the Missouri River about seventy miles west of St. Louis was settled mostly by Germans. Gasconade County (and the Gasconade River) received its name from French-speaking settlers. They came from the Gascony region in southwest France during French colonial rule of New France (Louisiana Territory). According to Ramsay, the French colonial inhabitants of this region had the same boastful character as the inhabitants of Gascony in France. Hence the name Gasconade, meaning 'Gascony-like'. It was created by an act of the Missouri Territorial Legislature on November 25th, 1820. At that time and in 1821 when Missouri was admitted as the 24th state, Gasconade County, was one of only 25 Missouri counties and one of the largest consisting of a large part of the southern half of Missouri.
This present volume contains the following items:
Brief History of the County
Marriage Records 1822-1841
County Tax List for 1828
Marriage Book A 1841-1848 and Book B 1848-1855
Abstracts of Wills and Administration Bonds 1821-1860
Early Birth Register 1863-1891
Old Salem and Leach Cemeteries.
Reprinted 2011, 8.5"x11", full name index, soft cover, 102pp