Abstracts from the Clarksville Standard (Formerly the Northern Standard) Texas: Volume 6: Jan. 2, 1858 - July 30, 1859 - Richard B. Marrin and Lorna Gerr Sheppard. The Northern Standard, later renamed The Clarksville Standard, was a weekly newspaper first published in 1842 by Charles DeMorse in Clarksville, a small town in the northeastern corner of the Republic of Texas. The paper grew to become the second largest in circulation in Texas and DeMorse was hailed as the Father of Texas Journalism. DeMorse, a fervent Democrat, also earned the title: The Father of the Democratic Press in Texas. In 1858 and 1859, Red River County had a population of almost 6,000; crops flourished: corn, cotton, wheat and fruits; steam mills produced lumber and flour. Life was good. The abstracts recorded herein tell the story of how the settlers schooled their children, raised their crops, and made their living; along with accounts of immigration, Indian troubles on the ever-advancing frontier, financial crises and religious revivals. However tranquil Texas seemed during these years, there was an under current concerning slavery and the approaching Civil War. Both the genealogist and the student of Texas history will prize this work. For the genealogist, there is a wealth of names. For historians, this volume offers a taste of the people, events and attitudes in motion which were to shape Texas and the United States. An every name index enhances the text.
2010, 5½x8½, paper, index, 312 pp.