Marion County, South Carolina, A History Of
Located in the heart of the Pee Dee Basin, Marion County is surrounded by Darlington, Dillion, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Marlborough and Williamsburg counties. It was carved out of Georgetown District in 1785. It was originally called Liberty County until the act of 1798 when its name changed to Marion. This book should be a companion book of Gregg’s History of the Old Cheraws for persons doing research in the Pee Dee Area. This should be the book to help you locate those elusive ancestors who were living in this area of South Carolina. The major portion of this book (429 pages) is devoted to family histories and genealogies that go back as many as five generation. There are also other chapters that will intrigue the genealogist. These chapters represent 84 pages of the book and are devoted to lists of: clerks of courts, sheriffs, Representatives in the Legislature, Senators, ordinaries and probate judges, proprietary Governors, lawyers, and Rosters of Marion County soldiers who served in the Civil War. These Rosters of 21 different Companies not only list the soldiers name and rank, but many times when they listed, what battles they were in, and if and how they were wounded or killed during service.