Woodruff County, Arkansas History and Biographical Sketches
Originally published by Goodspeed Publishing in 1889, this reprint contains memoirs and biographies of Woodruff County pioneers. Woodruff County was created on 26 November 1862 and was originally to be called Mallory County, but name Woodruff chosen probably from William E. Woodruff, Sr. creator of the Arlansus Gazette. It could have been named for W. E. Woodruff, Jr. or Alden M. Woodruff both supporters of the Confederacy. This volume contains a brief history of the county from the beginning up to the time of the writing in the mid-1880s. Because the information was compiled by the referenced family, it should be very accurate and detailed.
“William T. Echols, one of the leading cotton dealers in Woodruff County, and a member of the firm of Henderson, Echols & Co., dealers in farm implements, wagons and general merchandise, of Cotton Plant, first saw the light of this world in DeSoto County, Mississippi in 1844, and is a son of J. M. and Mary E. (Henderson) Echols. ...”
2004, paper, 55 pp.