History of the Town of Essex from 1634 to 1868: With Sketches of the Soldiers in the War of the Rebellion by David Choate
Essex, Massachusetts, was originally part of Ipswich and was commonly known as Chebacco prior to its being set off as a separate town. This history begins in 1634 with the first settlement of the area and continues through 1819 when the town of Essex was incorporated and received its current name. The history for the years from 1820 to 1868 is treated in the form of a chronology of events rather than as a narrative, and highlights a variety of aspects of the town including businesses, the post office, the poorhouse and farm, temperance reformation, church building, ship building, and population statistics, among others. The town’s involvement in the Civil War is given brief coverage but much attention is given to the participating soldiers; biographical sketches are generally a lengthy paragraph and include vital statistics, military service, occupation, bouts with disease, and quotes from the individuals, when available. Appendices include marriages (1790-1827) and deaths (1790-1832), rosters of college graduates (1689-1867) and professional men (1761-1866), and rosters of various officials at the town and state level (1780-1867). Original full name and subject index. The book is presented as graphic images, so the user sees the work just as it was originally published. It is intended to look and function very much like a "real" book. There is no electronic index, and there is no electronic text to search. However, numerous electronic bookmarks have been added which make it easy to move through the book. Image numbers will match the page numbers for all of the main text, as well as the index. Any unnumbered portraits and illustrations are at the back of the actual file, to keep page numbering consistent.
(1868), 2004, paper, 508 pp.