The Holland Land Company was created by a group of Dutch bankers for the purpose of promoting settlement in western New York and Pennsylvania. In 1792-3 they purchased from Robert Morris a large tract of land between the Genesee River and Lake Erie which was known as the Holland Purchase. This huge tract of several million acres encompassed Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming Counties, and was rapidly settled in the first decade of the 1800s.
The first half of this large work provides a detailed history of the region, while the second half concentrates on the settlement of the Holland Purchase itself. There are several early resident and tax lists, and numerous short biographical sketches of key figures. A complete full-name index has been added to this reprint to make the personal data more accessible.
(1849), 2023, 5½x8½, paper, new index, 732 pp.