A History of St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia With Notes of Old Churches and Old Families - Philip Slaughter. This book is composed of four sections: “St. Mark’s Parish,” “Historical Excursions,” “Genealogies,” and “Miscellaneous Items.” The first section, “St. Mark’s Parish,” opens with a detailed discussion of Sir Alexander Spotswood, Lieutenant–Governor of Virginia and his relation to St. Mark’s Parish. The organization of St. Mark’s Parish, Rev. John Thompson, Rev. John Woodville, Rev. John Cole, Culpeper County, St. Thomas Church in Orange County, and Bromfield Parish are also examined.
The second section, devoted to “Historical Excursions,” includes: “The Knights of the Golden Horseshoe,” “Germanna,” “Diary of Captain Philip Slaughter, beginning in 1775 and continued to 1849,” “Lewis Littlepage,” and “The Tobacco Plant.” The third (and largest) portion of the book contains genealogies of the following families: Barbour, Carter, Cave, Clayton, Coleman, Conway, Fields, Fry, Garnett, Glassell, Green, Lightfoot, Madison, Pendleton, Slaughter, Spotswood, Strothers, Taylor, Williams; as well as, the Rev. James Stevenson, the family of the Rev. John Thompson, the Williams family of Culpeper, Winston-Henry genealogy, Rev. John Woodville, Lieut.-General Ambrose Powell Hill, and the Broadus family. The last section, “Miscellaneous Items,” covers: the Brown family, medical men in Culpeper before the Revolution, the lawyers, towns of Culpeper (Stevensburg; Clerksburg, not Clarksburg; Jefferson; Springfield; and Jamestown), brick making in Virginia, and vestrymen of St. Mark’s. A full-name index adds to the value of this work.
(1877, 1990), 2012, 5½x8½, paper, index, 230 pp.