First Records of Baltimore Town and Jones’ Town, 1729-1797 (Maryland) - City Council of Baltimore. In 1729, several of the inhabitants of Baltimore County petitioned the General Assembly, claiming that a town was needed on the north side of the Patapsco River. Subsequently, sixty acres were purchased from Charles and Daniel Carroll for the sum of forty shillings, and a commission was authorized to oversee the establishment of boundaries, laying out of streets, “taking up” of lots, and so forth. In 1732, an act was passed for the establishment of nearby Jonas (Jones) Town, and in 1745 the two towns were combined. Covering the years 1729 to 1797, these chronological records reveal forfeitures and conveyances of lots and name all of the title holders. These are the records of the commission meetings, which include accounts, land surveys, lot divisions and assignments of lots to individuals, with maps showing the locations of the lots. Other information includes names of citizens appointed by the commissioners as inspectors of flour, wood-corders, measurers of grain, weighers of hay, etc. Names of new commissioners and judges are also mentioned. Three maps are included: one of “Original Baltimore Town, showing lots as laid out in 1729”; Baltimore City in 1905 including an overlay of the original town as it was laid out in 1729; and, Relative positions of Baltimore and Jones Town. An index to names, places and subjects adds to the value of this work.
(1905, ), 2016, 5½x8½, paper, index, 150 pp.