CD: Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks: Record Group 71, No. 10 - Richard G. Wood. The Bureau of Navy Yards and Docks was created by an act of Congress. August 31, 1842. "When the new Bureau took over its duties from the Board of Navy Commissioners in 1842, the engineering function was continued by the creation of the Office of Civil Engineer within the Bureau. Since 1917 a civil engineer has always headed the Bureau…The Bureau of Yards and Docks is responsible for the design and construction of all naval public works and naval public utilities such as dry docks, marine railways, and shipbuilding ways, harbor structures such as moorings, quay walls, piers, wharves, landings, and ships; utilities such as power plants and systems for heat, light, telephone, water, steam, compressed air, gas, and sewer services; service structures such as airports, roads, walks, bridges, and radio towers; storage facilities such as warehouses, oil and gasoline tanks, and magazines; recreation facilities; and all types of buildings. The Bureau is charged with the repair of public works and utilities at shore establishments, the operation of power plants, the acquisition of real estate for naval use, and the supplying of furniture for most buildings. At advanced bases and in combat areas the work of the Bureau is forwarded by the Navy Construction Battalions ("Sea Bees")…The bulk of the records described in this inventory are those of the Office of the Chief of the Bureau, 1820-1946, and may be conveniently divided into correspondence, records relating to personnel, records relating to contracts, records relating to property and accounts, and miscellaneous records."
(1948), 2007, CD, Adobe Acrobat, v6, Graphic Images, PC and Mac, 32 pp .
101-CD4018 ISBN: 0788440187