Kent County, Delaware Land Records, 1782-1785
Mary Marshall Brewer
This work consists primarily of deeds, but these early land records sometimes served as a “catch-all” for recording events including powers of attorney, patents, articles of agreement, acknowledgment of receipt of estate portion, deeds of gift to family members, contracts, and quit claims. A full-name and place index adds to the value of this work.
Kent County, originally a part of Whorekill District (created in 1664), became an independent territory under the name of St. Jones County in 1680. In circa 1682 the name was changed to Kent County. Subsequent to 1674, settlers (principally from Maryland) began to take up land in this area.
(2005), 2019, 5½x8½, paper, index, 198 pp.