City of Norfolk, Virginia Marriage Records, 1890-1899


Norfolk was first created as a town by Nicholas Wise’s deed for 50 acres, on August 16, 1682. In 1736 it was changed to the “Borough of Norfolk”. It was named Norfolk after the county in which it was situated, then a part of what was called Lower Norfolk County, which comprised the present Norfolk County aka the City of Chesapeake, and Princess Anne County aka the City of Virginia Beach. Upper Norfolk County was later changed to Nansemond County aka Suffolk County. In 1845 it became the City of Norfolk, which lies at the mouth of the James and Elizabeth Rivers and Chesapeake Bay.

This book contains the marriage records from 1890–1899. The listings are presented in a convenient table format. The listings are in alphabetical order by groom’s surname. The records were obtained from the marriage register and the marriage license which is reflected in the first column. Special Note: This is the only place you will find November and December 1898 licenses as they were never microfilmed. And there is an extra special license. It’s the only one written in calligraphy by the bride. The columns include date of marriage, full names of groom and bride, race, age of parties, marital status, place of birth of both parties, and names of parents for both parties when available. Also included when available is an indication if the marriage appeared in the newspaper as a paid, line item, or article.

Kristina Deluise

(?), 2024, 8½x11, paper, alphabetical, 236 pp.

ISBN: 9780788427657