History of the Early Settlement and Progress of Cumberland County, New Jersey


England claimed possession of the land which the Dutch called New Netherlands and King Charles II gave this territory (which included part of New York and all of New Jersey) to his brother, the Duke of York, in 1663/64. The Duke conveyed New Jersey to Lord Berkeley and Sir George Carteret in 1664. Berkeley conveyed his half to John Fenwick who then conveyed nine-tenths of his half to William Penn, Gawen Lawrie, and Nicholas Lucas—all followers of the Quaker, George Fox. The Quakers were the first English settlers although the Dutch and Swedes were probably the first whites to live in the area.

Cumberland County was set off from Salem County in 1747-1748. The county was named for the Duke of Cumberland who had recently "gained the victory of Culloden" and "was the great hero of the day.” Chapters included: Government and Officers (a history including lists of clerks, 1776-1846), members of Congress (1776-1863), and sheriffs (1747-1866); Bridgeton—a history (the town was incorporated in 1865, divided into three wards, and covered the townships of Bridgeton and Cohansey); Maurice River, Millville, and Landis—history of settlements along the river; Religious Denominations—history, particularly of the Baptists, Presbyterians, and Methodists; and Currency History. The author was a life-long resident of Bridgeton.

Lucius Q. C. Elmer

(1869, 1987), 2011, 5½x8½, paper, index, 146 pp.

ISBN: 9781556130199