Grimes Mill, Kentucky Landmark on Boone Creek, Fayette County

Grimes Mill, Kentucky Landmark on Boone Creek, Fayette County

Regular price $23.00 Sale

Grimes Mill, Kentucky Landmark on Boone Creek, Fayette County - Harry G. Enoch. The Grimes Mill complex and the nearby Grimes House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Charles Grimes’ merchant mill was originally built to manufacture wheat for export to New Orleans. The business continued under various owners for over 100 years. The mill ceased operating in 1928 and since that time has served as headquarters for the Iroquois Hunt Club. This book tells the story of the men and women who built and tended the mill, the various commercial enterprises carried on in its shadow, and the outside events that swirled around it. The work is divided into seven sections. Chapter 1 defines the physical setting on Boone Creek and introduces the Grimes family. Chapter 2 details the process leading up to the mill's construction. Chapter 3 describes the mill-related structures as they were built and as they appear today. Chapter 4 covers the early years of mill operation (1807-1837), Chapter 5 the middle years (1837-1887), Chapter 6 the late years (1887-1928), and Chapter 7 the Iroquois Hunt Club years (1928 to present). Appendices include a glossary of mill-related terms, public records of the mill, Grimes family history, and a list of the mill's owners. The book also contains a list of further reading material, copious notes, a fullname plus subject index, and many new and archival illustrations. Henry Enoch is a veteran Heritage Books author. His other Heritage Books about Kentucky include In Search of Morgan's Station and Affair at Captina Creek. (2002), 2011, 5½x8½, paper, index, 220 pp. 101-E2031 ISBN: 0788420313