Genealogical Abstracts from the Wauwatosa News, 1899-1904 (Wisconsin) - Elizabeth Doherty Herzfeld. Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, was named after Chief Wau-wau-tae-sie of the Potawatomies. The land was sold to the U.S. Government by a treaty dated 1833. The first permanent settlement was made by Charles Hart and followed in 1835 by seventeen settlers. Wauwatosa has dubbed itself the City of Homes. The original boundaries were Greenfield Avenue on the south and Hampton Avenue on the north; 27th Street formed the eastern boundary and 124th Street the western. The Wauwatosa News is a weekly paper, now called Wauwatosa News-Times, that initially came out every Saturday. It was first published in 1885, but after only a few issues were published it folded. It has been continuously published since March 11, 1899, when Charles R. Perry and Lysander R. Gridley formed the Wauwatosa Printing Company to publish the Wauwatosa News. The only known copy of the first paper was found at the historical society. The book starts with April 1, 1899 and goes through May 24, 1904. Some of the entries include: births, deaths, marriages, accidents, sketches of political candidates, business information, crimes, sports news and many other interesting tidbits about Wauwatosa residents. Some of the early residents of Wauwatosa include: Rev. Crawford, Emerson D. Hoyt Lowell Damon, E. D. Underwood, Rev. S. Merrill, Rev. William Talford, Deacon Joseph A. Warren, Hannah Hoyt, as well as many others. There is also a list of Civil War Volunteers who served from 1861–1865. A full-name index is included. (1999), 2016, 5½x8½, paper, index, 222 pp.