This book tells the story of how the Palatine settlers in Frederick, Maryland, provided places of refuge for fellow Palatines from the Great Valley, and further west, who were burned out of their farms during the French and Indian "scorched earth" campaign of 1756 and 1757. At the same time, this book also shows how one extended family from the Palatinate provided refuge while also providing defense as the front line of the Seven Years' War moved east to the foot of South Mountain.
Using an original analysis based on the christening records of Frederick County churches of the period, the magnitude of German Reformed and Anglican refugees staying in Frederick is revealed. The book also shows how the Brunner family used an adaptation of the Anglo-Scottish fortified house to build Schifferstadt (now a museum) to provide both defense and a way to carry on their ethnic heritage in time of war. As a part of the Schifferstadt story, the history of the Palatine connection to the Anglo-Scottish fortified house is traced through similar, earlier fortified houses built in the Mohawk River Valley of New York by Palatine settlers with advice and guidance from William Johnson. Photographs and maps enhance the text.
2008, 6x9, paper, 104 pp.