Minutes of the Vestry of St. Helena's Parish, South Carolina, 1726-1812 - A. S. Salley, Jr.. This parish was established in 1712, and met in the homes of various planters until a church was built in 1724. The parish “was bounded on the east by St. Helena Sound and Combahee River, on the north by a line from the head of Combahee River to Savannah River and to the south on the ocean.” These transcriptions of vestry minutes provide a detailed view of the business and spiritual affairs of the parishioners. They record the elections of church officers, financial transactions, and matters of church discipline. Since the parish was extensively involved in assisting its sick and poor members, there are innumerable instances of sums being paid for housing, nursing, and doctoring, and in some cases burying, parishioners. There are also investigations of illegitimacy, children being bound out, etc. (1919), 2011, 5½x8½, paper, index, 298 pp.