The History of Truro Parish in Virginia
The History of Truro Parish in Virginia - Rev. Philip Slaughter. “No Parish in the Colony had a Vestry more distinguished in its personnel, or more fully qualified for their positions than the Parish of Truro. Eleven of them sat at various times in the House of Burgesses, Two of them, the Fairfaxes, were members of ‘His Majesty’s Council for Virginia.’ Another of her vestrymen was George Mason, one of the first among the founders of the State and the great political thinkers of his age; while still another was declared to be the ‘Greatest man of any age,’ George Washington.” Established in 1732, Truro Parish comprised the area between the Potomac and Occoquan Rivers, and west as far as the Blue Ridge Mountains. The old Pohick Church was located near the present city of Fairfax, Virginia. This copiously annotated history brims with names of church members, builders, pew purchasers, lists of vestrymen and church wardens, clerks and lay readers, and overseers of the poor. There is also a list of voters at an election of burgesses in Fairfax County in 1744. The book concludes with a later history of Pohick Church and surrounding churches. Facsimiles of two vestry book pages and the original plan of Pohick Church showing the seating arrangement and ownership of pews is included.
(1907, 1908, 2001), 2015, 5½x8½, paper, index, 186 pp.