The History of Guilford, Connecticut, from its first settlement in 1639

The History of Guilford, Connecticut, from its first settlement in 1639

Regular price $23.00 Sale

The History of Guilford, Connecticut, from its first settlement in 1639 - Hon. Ralph D. Smith. The original town of Guilford stretched along Long Island Sound from Branford to Killingsworth, and included the present towns of Guilford and Madison (set off in 1828). The first settlers were about forty farmers from Surry and Kent, in the vicinity of London, England, who arrived in 1639. This history places emphasis on the early settlers and the ecclesiastical history of the town. There are numerous biographical sketches of the early settlers, ministers and other church officials, and noteworthy citizens, as well as numerous lists including: deacons, judges, justices, magistrates, deputies, treasurers, marshals, town clerks, Masons, and a Roll of Honor for Guilford soldiers in the Civil War. An index to full-names, places and subjects augments the text. (1877, 2000), 2015, 5½x8½, paper, index, 224 pp. 101-S3323 ISBN: 1556133235