Early Families of Limington, Maine - Robert L. Taylor. Limington, (originally called Little Ossippe), was a part of the "Ossipee Tract" purchased by Francis Small in 1668 from an Indian sagamore. As early as 1771, the Small heirs, then living in Scarboro and Cape Elizabeth, Maine, were taking an active interest in their ancestral lands and laid plans for its development and settlement. Many Smalls, and a great number of their neighbors in both towns, moved into Limington. By the time the 1790 census was taken, the town had one hundred and fifteen settlers. This major new work, twenty-five years in the making, was compiled from a variety of primary and other sources including: town and family records, genealogists, manuscripts, cemetery inscriptions, census records, newspaper obituaries and death notices, and school district polls. Genealogical information includes, when known: date and place of birth, marriage, and death; names of spouses; occupation; and general comments such as: "She was part Indian, so claimed descendants..." and "He was a Democrat and postmaster..." that help fill out the character of the people and their lives in Limington. Descendants to the third or fourth generation are given for most families. A record of deaths in Limington, covering the years 1816-1841 and 1843-1845, is also covered.
(1991), 2007, 5½x8½, paper, index, 442 pp.