History of the Oranges in Essex County, N.J. from 1666 to 1806 - Stephen Wickes, MD. This work covers the history of the Oranges from the time settlement began in Newark in 1666 until Orange Township was set off from Newark Township in 1806. Newark was founded in 1666 primarily by Puritan families from New Haven Colony who were dissatisfied with the “lax and liberal methods of Connecticut Colony” which ultimately absorbed New Haven Colony. They were families which had come to New Haven Colony from Massachusetts after sojourning in Hartford, Weathersfield and Windsor. The original Newark grant had been extended westward to the top of Watchung Mountain in 1678/9. This western addition is the part that covers the region now occupied by Belleville, Bloomfield, Montclair, and all the Oranges. This is a typical town history, and is laced with biographical and genealogical data on the early settlers. In addition, there are church records for the “Mountain Society,” listing members before 1756, new members (1757–1762 and 1766–1783), and baptisms (1756–1762 and 1766–1783). There are numerous explanatory footnotes and citations to sources, a wealth of illustrations, and a detailed index to full-names, places and subjects.
(1892) reprint, 5½x8½, paper, index, 334 pp.