Carroll County, Georgia History & Biographies
Carroll County is located on the west side of the state. The land for Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll counties was ceded by the Creek people in the 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs. This land was the last remaining portion of the Creek's Georgia territory, and was ceded by William McIntosh, chief of the Lower Creeks or White Sticks. This cession resulted in his murder at McIntosh Reserve near present day Whitesburg by fellow Creeks from northern Alabama called Red Sticks or Upper Creeks.
The counties' boundaries were created by the Georgia General Assembly on June 9, but they were not named until December 14 of 1826. Carroll County was named for Charles Carroll of Maryland, at that time the last surviving signer of the U.S. Declaration of Independence when the county was created in 1826. Carrollton, the county seat, was also named for this reason. The history of this book begins at the beginning of the county and goes to the time of the original publication in the mid-1880s. The biographical portion was information submitted by the families themselves.
“M. E. Murphey, farmer, Carrollton, Carroll Co., GA, son of William and Martha (Murphey) Murphey, was born in Talbot county, GA., in 1827. His father was born in South Carolina, in 1798, came to Georgia when a young man on pack horses, and settled in the woods in Wilkes county, where he cleared a farm...etc...”
2004, paper, 54 pp.