Albemarle County, North Carolina was established in 1664 in the northeast portion of the Lords Proprietors' new province of Carolina covering a poorly defined 1,600 square miles. By 1668 it was divided into Chowan, Currituck, Pasquotank, and Perquimans precincts. These precincts later became the counties of Edgecomb, Bertie, Chowan, Pasquotank and Currituck. Albemarle County ceased to exist as a unit of government in Carolina in 1689 when Governor Seth Sothel departed. The next governor had his commission for "that part of our province of Carolina that lies north and east of Cape fear," which was basically the whole of modern North Carolina." These Quit Rents were the fees paid the Government for the use of the land, but in this case, they appear in arrears which gives a good collection of over 1,200 persons living there at the time.
“Edgecombe Precinct - ‘By Whom Paid’ - Bryan, William - ‘No. of Years Paid’ - 2 ½ ‘No. of Acres’ - 200 ‘Quit Rent Res’d’ - 2 shill.”
James L. Douthat
2007, paper, 30 pp.