Rhea Springs, located in Rhea County, Tennessee, was one of those spots that dotted the whole of the south where people in the late 1800s vacationed and later a community grew up around them. The Rhea Springs News, quoted here, was established in 1877 with Thomas T. McWhirter as proprietor. The news covered Bledsoe, Cumberland as well as Rhea County, Tennessee. This volume includes the advertisements which give a great deal of information on the area as well as those from as far away as Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga.
“Mrs. Vesta Colville, widow of the late Capt. W. E. Colville, died at the residence of her son Dr. R. W. Colville, at Washington [Rhea Co.], at about 5 o’clock on the 22nd inst. .
Mrs. Colville died as she had lived, a quiet, peaceful Christian. She was loved by all who knew her, and was truly an ornament to the society in which she moved.”
“Mr. G. W. Nixon, clerk and mail agent of the Steamer ‘R.M.Bishop’ is spending a few days at the Springs. Mr. Nixon has been on the river for several years, and is a splendid accountant and book-keeper and social, pleasant and accommodating to every person with whom he has business transactions. We are glad to learn from him that the ‘Bishop’ will be out again in a few weeks with a new bottom and thoroughly overhauled for the trade this summer.’ [April 25, 1878]
Rhea County Historical and Genealogical Society
2001, paper, 54 pp.