Abstracts of the Debt Books of the Provincial Land Office of Maryland: Queen Anne’s County. Volume II, Liber 37: 1757 (2nd version); Liber 38: 1758, 1763, 1765, 1766, 1767, 1769; Liber 38A: 1775 (Caroline County)
Vernon L. Skinner, Jr.
This is the second volume in Mr. Skinner’s series pertaining to Queen Anne’s County. The final portion of this volume covers 1775 for that portion of Queen Anne’s County that became Caroline County. The information is presented in tabular form: liber and folio citation, with any pertinent date; name of the person paying the taxes; and name of the tract of land and amount of acreage. From the Queen Anne’s debt book we also learn that the county had established a free school by 1753; and the towns of Bridgetown, Kings Town, and Ogle Town were established communities there by 1747. The leading landowners in Queen Anne’s County for this period were the Lloyd, Tilghman, and Wright families. A number of county landowners actually lived in other Maryland counties, places in Delaware and New Jersey, or locations abroad.
2017, paper, 518pp.