This book identifies residents in the adjacent counties of Dundee and Angus, as well as emigrants from there, between 1800 and 1850. Dundee and Angus now form distinct Scottish administrative units but were formerly a single district known as Forfarshire. Angus, which is in the east of Scotland, is divided by a geological fault known as the Highland Line, with the Highlands to the north-west and the Lowlands to the south-east. From the medieval period to the Victorian era, Forfar was the administrative centre of Angus, or Forfarshire while Dundee, still within Angus, was fast becoming the main industrial and port city. By the late nineteenth century Dundee had become one of the biggest cities in Scotland, famous for its ‘jam, jute, and journalism’.