Louisiana History and Biographies: Natchitoches Parish. Southern Publishing Company.
Natchitoches Parish was established in 1714 by Louis Juchereau de St. Denis. This was originally founded as a French outpost on the Red River for trade with Mexico, a Spanish country. The French traders were in this region as early as 1699 and settled in the neighborhood with the Natchitoches Indians. After the Louisiana Purchase by the United States, the area began to change drastically with the English settlers coming into the region to establish plantations to raise cotton and other crops. These were often transported over land to the Red River and then floated down river to New Orleans. This volume contains a brief history of the area and biographical sketches of many of the older families.
1890, 2016, paper, 103 pp.