Hays County located in the south central portion of the state was formed on 1 March 1848 by the State Legislature out of Travis County and was named for a Tennessean Captain John Coffee Hays of the Texas Rangers. In 1858 the county of Blanco was taken from Hays County. In 1835, the Mexican government issued a land grant to the first Anglo-American settler in the county to Thomas G. McGhee of Tennessee. This volume is the history of the southwest Texas area and especially the Hays County with a biographical sketch of many of the early settlers of Hays County.
8.5"x11", softcover, full name index, reprinted 2016, 91pp