A History of Colerain Township: From Frontier Wilderness to Suburban Sprawl - Joe Flickinger. Colerain Township, located in Hamilton County, Ohio, was established in 1794. Predating the establishment of the state of Ohio in 1803, John Dunlap, a native of Coleraine, Ireland, surveyed the area. The early history of the township includes a siege on Fort Dunlap by Native American warriors for over twenty-four hours. They gave up when they heard reinforcements were on their way from nearby Cincinnati’s Fort Washington. After the Treaty of Greenville, the area was cleared for mainly rural farming, with small villages dotting the landscape, which housed a post office, a tavern or two, and maybe a few stores or shops that supported the farmers. The area remained rural until the end of WWII when suburban sprawl rapidly changed the small two-lane roads into bustling thoroughfares and the cornfields into cul-de-sacs with two or three bedroom homes and a garage for the family car. Today, Colerain Township is home to over 60,000 residents, making it one of the largest townships in Ohio. However, those who live there call it home.
This book celebrates the history, heritage, and story of Colerain Township, and its journey from the isolated frontier wilderness, to rural farming, to a modern suburban community, bursting with people and business. Numerous photographs, an appendix, a bibliography, and a full-name index add to the value of this work.
2018, 5½x8½, paper, 136 pp.