A Bicentennial History of Green Township: Uncovering a Jewel in the Crown of the Queen City, 1809-2009
A Bicentennial History of Green Township: Uncovering a Jewel in the Crown of the Queen City, 1809-2009 - Joe Flickinger. In 1809, Cincinnati was officially a burgeoning Wild West town. It was called the “gateway to the west” by the people pouring onto the public landing from the myriad of steamboats docking by the river’s edge. Meanwhile, a densely forested, recently opened area just [a few?] miles outside the city was being organized. A handful of rough and tumble frontiersman took a break from cutting their farms from the forest and answered the call from the constable to attend a meeting establishing a township. This township met the requirements of the Land Ordinance of 1785—a thirty-six square mile tract of land; the only one laid out this way in the Symmes Purchase. These men unknowingly were helping to set the stage for what would become one of the largest townships in Ohio. In 2009, two hundred years after its founding, Green Township has become known as the “Westside” by outsiders.
To those who live there, it is called home. This book celebrates the history and heritage of Green Township, and its journey from isolated frontier wilderness to being one of the largest townships in the state of Ohio. Numerous photographs, an appendix, a bibliography, and a full-name index add to the value of this work.
2011, 5½x8½, paper, index, 130 pp.
101-F5309 ISBN: 0788453092