CD: Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Ships: Record Group 19 - Elizabeth Bethel, Ellmore A. Champie, Mabel E. Deutrich, Robert W. Krauskopf and Mark N. Schatz. "The Bureau of Construction, Equipment and Repairs was established by an act of Congress approved August 31, 1842, and was responsible for building, equipping, and repairing all naval vessels. This Bureau was abolished by an act of Congress approved July 5, 1862, and its functions were divided among three newly established bureaus-the Bureau of Construction and Repair, the Bureau of Steam Engineering, and the Bureau of Equipment and Recruiting." In 1910 the Bureau of Equipment (changed from the Bureau of Equipment and Recruiting in 1891) was abolished and its duties distributed among other bureaus. In 1940 the remaining two bureaus became the Bureau of Ships. "The records described in this inventory are the records of the Bureau of Construction, Equipment, and Repairs, the Bureau of Construction and Repair, the Bureau of Engineering, the Bureau of Equipment, the General Superintendent of Ironclads, the Coordinator of Shipbuilding, and the Bureau of Ships, that, as of August 1, 1960, were in the National Archives."
(1961), 2006, CD, Adobe Acrobat, v6, Graphic Images, PC and Mac, 250 pp.
101-CD4045 ISBN: 0788440454