City of Norfolk, Virginia Marriage Records, 1860-1869


Norfolk was first created as a town by Nicholas Wise’s deed for 50 acres, on August 16, 1682. In 1736, it was changed to the “Borough of Norfolk”. It was named Norfolk after the county in which it was situated, then a part of what was called Lower Norfolk County, which comprised the present Norfolk County, (later the City of Chesapeake), and Princess Anne County (later the City of Virginia Beach). Upper Norfolk County was later changed to Nansemond County (later Suffolk County). In 1845, it became the City of Norfolk, which lies at the mouth of the James and Elizabeth Rivers and Chesapeake Bay.

This book contains the marriage records from 1860–1869. The listings are presented in a convenient table format, in alphabetical order by groom’s surname. The records were obtained from the marriage bond, the marriage register, the marriage license, and courthouse records which are reflected in the first column. The columns include date of marriage, full names of groom and bride, race, age of parties, marital status, place of birth of both parties, and names of parents for both parties when available. Also included when available is an indication if the marriage appeared in the newspaper as a paid, line item, or article.

Kristina Deluise

(?), 2024, 8½x11, paper, alphabetical, 86 pp.

ISBN: 9780788427619