Genealogical History of the Town of Reading, Massachusetts


Including the Present Towns of Wakefield, Reading, and North Reading, With Chronological and Historical Sketches, from 1639 to 1874

Contents include: A chronological and historical sketch of notable events, from the first settlement of the town in 1639 to 1700. A genealogical sketch of early settlers, with the succession of their families for several generations with biographical and historical notices of many of them. This list is intended to include the names of all the men who settled the town prior to the year 1700 with some later ones. The names of heads of families are arranged alphabetically; those names have been connected with these families by marriage follow, under each family head respectively and can be further examined in the body of the genealogy. This section includes 135 family names. Other sections death with ecclesiastical history; education; military affairs; municipal affairs; descriptive list of inhabitants and dwelling-houses in the third parish, now Reading, at about the time of its incorporation as a parish, 1769; South Reading from 1812-1844; historical record of Wakefield from 1845 to 1874; miscellaneous; burial grounds (including locations and epitaphs); Rebellion record, including prisoners at Bull Run, and enlistment rolls; and life sketches of leading citizens. Well illustrated.

Lilley Eaton

(1874) reprint, paper, index, illus., 849 pp.

ISBN: 9781556139895