Early Villages of Stamford, Connecticut: The Cove and Long Ridge - Jeanne Majdalany.
The history is a combination of two works which were previously published in the late 1970’s. They are now being offered as a single volume, covering the time period of 1641 to 1978: nearly three and a half centuries. The book’s first part deals with the Cove, an area along the Connecticut shore of Long Island Sound, located mainly on the island in the cove between Stamford and Darien. The region’s history goes back to 1641. The island was first used as a pound; then it became the center of a grist mill operation. By 1800 John William Holly had settled there and further developed mills producing dyes and drugs. Eventually the whole area was absorbed by the Stamford Manufacturing Company, where 500 men were employed. This section is also replete with photographs, maps and illustrations from both the 19th century and more recent times. In addition to presenting the history, it contains a full chart on the Holly family plus many references to other families in the area, which will all be extremely appreciated by researchers. The book’s second part, a history of Long Ridge Village, covers the years between 1700 and 1800, and gives a detailed picture of this little community located ten miles north of central Stamford. Long Ridge Village was settled in 1717 by three enterprising men from Long Island: Thomas Brush Jr., Michael Waring and John White. They were soon joined by the Ingersois, Newmans and Todds, and the community began to flourish. In addition to a rich description of life in that time, the account includes maps, charts and genealogical data. This book brings back more than three centuries of history to enlighten those who have a special relationship with Stamford by having visited or lived there.
(1979, 1998), 2015, 5½x8½, paper, 196 pp.