A Century of Growth, or The History of the Church in Western Maryland
Thomas J. Stanton
Western Maryland includes Garrett, Allegany, Washington and Frederick counties, and covers approximately 2300 square miles. This 2 vol. work traces the history of Catholicism in Western Maryland from around the mid 1700s to 1900.
Volume One studies Allegany and Garrett Counties. The following articles are included in the chapter on Allegany County: St. Mary's Church, St. Patrick's Church, Sts. Peter and Paul's Church, St. Patrick's Church (Mt. Savage), the Coal Miners, St. Michael's Church (Frostburg), St. Mary's Church (Lonaconing), St. Peter's Church (Westernport), St. Gabriel's Church (Barton), St. Joseph's Church (Midland) and the outlying Missions of St. Patrick's Church (Little Orleans), Bean's Cove (Bedford County, PA), St. Ambrose's Church (Cresaptown) and Old Mission Town. Chapter 3, which is devoted to Garrett County includes: St. Mary's Church (Blooming Rose), St. Peter's Church (Oakland), the outlying missions of: St. James' Church (Johnstown), Forty Water Station, Hutton's Switch, St. Ann's Church (New Germany), Deer Park and Grantsville. There is also an article in Chapter 3 on Meshack Browning.
Volume Two looks at Frederick and Washington counties and the history of education and literature in contributing to the history of the church in Western Maryland. The chapter on Frederick County includes: Mt. St. Mary's Church (Emmitsburg), St Joseph's Church (Frederick), St. John's Church (Frederick), St. Peter's Church (Libertytown), St. Mary's Church (Petersville) and additional outlying missions. The chapter on Washington County includes: St. Mary's Church (Hagerstown), St. Peter's Church (Hancock), St. Augustine's Church (Williamsport) and additional outlying missions. This set includes a collection of portraits and a new fullname index.
(1900), 2008, 5½x8½, 2 vols., paper, 320 + 198 pp.