Created in 1871 but not organized until 1875, Pecos County was named for the Pecos River. The Comanche Trail crossed Pecos County near Horsehead Crossing and through Comanche Springs. In 1858 the United States Army established an outpost at Comanche Springs and named it Fort Stockton. This fort was to protect the San Antonio-El Paso Mail route.
Mrs. J.F. Reeves
(2011), paper, index, 44 pp.