Cumberland County was created in 1749 from the portion of Goochland County south of the James River. Its boundaries at that time were Albemarle County (after 1761 Buckingham County) on the west, Amelia County (after 1754 also Prince Edward County) on the south, Chesterfield County on the east and Goochland County on the north. In 1777 the county was divided, its eastern portion of Buckingham County along the James River was added to Cumberland County. Since that time, there have been no changes in its boundaries.
1984, paper, 104 pp.